84 Spaces Contest
To celebrate its seventh anniversary, the Chess Variant Pages is holding a contest to design a Chess variant with 84 spaces. This is the number of months in seven years, i.e. seven dozen or 7*12. Games can be submitted for this contest till November 30, 2002. The winning games will be decided by a jury. More details can be found here.:
Competing EntriesThere have been 33 games submitted to the contest. If you submitted a game for the contest, that is not listed below, please contact us!
- Outback Chess. By Timothy Newton. First Prize!
- Heroes Hexagonal Chess. By Tony Quintanilla. Second Prize.
- TamerSpiel. By Eric V. Greenwood. Third Prize.
- Ultra Slanted Escalator Chess. By David Short. 4th/5th Prize (tied).
- Cross-Eyed Chess. By Uri Bruck. 4th/5th Prize (tied).
- Invasion by Jean-Louis Cazaux. Finalist.
- The Pit. By Daniel Roth. Finalist.
- Quintessential Chess. By Jörg Knappen. Finalist.
- Round Table Chess 84. By Richard G. VanDeventer. Finalist.
- Ryu Shogi. By Jared B. McComb. Finalist.
- Seenschach. By Jörg Knappen. Finalist.
- Tandem-84. By Jim Aikin. Finalist.
- Tetrahedral Chess by J. Mark Thompson.
- Tree Garden Chess. By William Overington.
- Delegating Chess. By João Pedro Neto.
- Orwell Chess. By Glenn Overby II.
- Beastmaster Chess. By Glenn Overby II.
- Herb Garden Chess. By William Overington.
- Wizard Chess. By Paul and Andrew Newton.
- Schizophrenic Chess. By David Short.
- Viking Chess. By Tomas Forsman.
- Battle Chieftain Chess. By Craig Daniel.
- Influence Chess. By Samuel H. Bell.
- Chessma 84. By Antoine Fourrière.
- Jacks and Witches 84. By Antoine Fourrière.
- Arabian Chess. By Paul and Timothy R. Newton.
- Ramayana Chess. By Luiz Carlos Campos.
- Wizard's War. By Mike Nelson.
- Transporter Chess. By Andrew P. Newton.
- Unconventional Warfare Chess. By Luiz Carlos Campos.
- Excelsior. By Este.
- Lions and Dragons Chess. By Tony Quintanilla.
- Flipworld. By John Ryan.
- Chaturanga 4-84 by Peter Aronson.
- Not a Dodgson System Chess, by Hans Bodlaender.
- Joko Urtaroak, by Glenn Overby II.
- Los Alamos Vierschach, by Jörg Knappen.
- Lilliputian Monochromatic Alice Chess. By Peter Aronson.
- Star Pool Chess. By Peter Aronson and Tony Quintanilla.
- Contests -- Other contests we've hosted
Written by Fergus Duniho and Hans Bodlaender.
WWW Page Created: January 1, 2002. Last modified: January 22, 2003.